Friday, March 27, 2020

Help for your daily schedule

As a parent and a teacher, I turn to Common Sense Media quite often for reliable information.  If my son is begging for a new app or video game or if I am deciding if a movie is appropriate for his age, Common Sense Media is my go-to place!   As an educator, I also use Common Sense Media's  lessons to teach digital citizenship and online safety.

This week, Common Sense Media has shared useful Distance Learning Plans for parents of young children (Grades K-2).   Honestly, I think these can easily be adapted for older elementary students, too.   I think I'm going to adapt one for my 14-year-old!

I was hooked when I saw the first slide of the Kindergarten plan.   The first slide invites your child to name his/her school!   What fun!  I would have never thought of adding that fun touch to this school at home.  It's a nice way to give your child ownership and a feeling of control -- something we all need in this situation where so much is unknown. 


Another slide gives a place to vocalize your school rules.   And since these are all Google Slides, you can make your own copy and adjust them as needed for your family!  


They suggest a school-day schedule that looks completely reasonable for doing school at home.  The links to online tools are all active links to click and go right to the sites.   As I said, each slide can be edited to fit your family, and there are even places built in to add the resources you need to add -- like the Stough Media Website or the one-stop-shop link that Stough parents will receive today in the Principal's weekly message.  


Whether you are the parent of a Kindergartener or a Fifth-grader (or, like me, an Eighth-grader!), you can gain something from checking out these plans.   Even if they are not exactly the plan for your family to get through the coming weeks, they give good things to consider and a great place to start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment